How to Make Steamed + Grilled Artichokes
This is my favorite way to make artichokes! I love steaming them first - from here they can be grilled, or stuffed or baked. I also love playing around with aromatics and dipping sauces!
Artichokes are one of my favorite spring veggies. And they are SO good for you! They are high in protein and fiber, including inulin, a dietary fiber proven to help gut issues.
Let me know if you try this at home!
- Slice the stem off the artichoke so that it can stand upright on its base.
- Trim the pointy parts of the leaves with scissors.
- Place the artichokes in a pot with about an inch of water. Sprinkle Maldon and pepper over the tops of the artichokes.
- Add aromatics, like lemon peel, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes to the water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and forget about it for an hour.
- Remove the artichokes from the hot water and set aside until they are cool enough to handle.
- Slice the artichokes in half with a hot knife, then remove the choke with a pairing knife.
- You can stop here and eat them with a squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of salt, and your favorite dipping sauce, or grill:
- Grilled: Get a cast iron pan so hot that it begins to smoke. Brush olive oil over the tops of the artichoke, then place on the hot grill pan for eight minutes per side. Serve with a squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of Maldon, and your favorite dipping sauce.